When I was younger I was disgusted
and totally against same sex marriage. I couldn’t understand why a man would
want to marry another man, or why a woman would want to call another woman her
wife. I believed that same sex marriage would affect our society in many ways.
I didn’t want it to be an example for any of the kids in my family. I just
didn’t think it was okay in any way. Another reason why I was against same sex
marriage was because in my culture it is not okay for a man to marry a man, or
a woman to marry another woman, so I just followed the traditions and continued
a chain against same sex marriage. Also, knowing that it’s against my religion
and I was taught for same sex marriage to be a sin.
Now that I’m older, I honestly
don’t care if people of the same sex get married. It took many years for me to
understand, but I’m glad I looked at this situation from a different
perspective. If people from my culture don’t agree, then that’s okay with me.
Just because we are from the same culture doesn’t mean I have to follow a chain
that has no sense. If the two people love each other then they should just
follow their heart. In my opinion, I don’t think people become gay I think they
were born gay. We can’t change the way people are, so mine as well support same
sex marriage. I just imagined myself in their shoes and finally understood that
maybe what they go through is not easy so instead of discriminating person we
should just support them. I always thought to myself that if I ever have kids
and one of them came out gay I would not know what to do, now I know that if I
ever have a son/daughter and they tell me that they are gay I will support them
all the way just because it’s their life and I can’t change it just because I’m
their mother, and not having your mothers supports is the worst situation
ever. Do you agree or disagree?
I agree and disagree at the same time. I believe, and this is just my opinion, that people make themselves what they want. You're only born with resources to become whatever you want and whatever you want to make of your life. I agree in the sense that our culture (Mexican) puts down same sex marriage a lot and I respect any choice any human wants to make for themselves.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, I come from a Mexican culture where they don't accept gay people and I believe its wrong to do so. We are all human and we should all respect one another no matter who we are. Thank you for posting this.
ReplyDeletei agree with you. if two people love eachother than they should follow there heart. its their choice not ours, & yes they were born gay.
ReplyDeleteThe topic of same sex marriages has never bothered me. My mother was a fashion designer and she had many gay friends. These man and women were part of my extended family when I was a growing up.
ReplyDeletei agree with your essay .. we shouldnt judge a person.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you i was the same you.
ReplyDeleteI also thought just like you did until I met people people who are gay. They are just like us and they should not be treated any differently because after all they are humans too bud sadly other people think otherwise.
ReplyDelete