At this point I currently do not
watch any reality shows. I don’t find them appropriate for either teenagers or
adults. They show the cast members acting like fools and they expect the world
to believe that everyone should act that way. The last reality show that I
watched was “Jersey Shore.” Even though I wasn’t hooked on it, I never missed
an episode. After a couple seasons of “Jersey Shore” I started to notice that
more and more teenagers were getting influenced by the members of the Jersey
Shore cast. They began to act, dress, and talk like the members of the show.
Another show that I have watched was “Keeping Up with the Kardashians.”
Although I do find this show to be very interesting, I know it’s still not
appropriate for anyone to watch. After this show began more and more girls got
influenced by the Kardashians fashion styles, attitudes, and lifestyles that by
the end of the first season there was many girls wanting to look like Kim Kardashian
that they bagan dressing, doing their hair, and make up like Kim Kardashian. I
believe that reality television has significantly affected our society in many
ways. It influences people to do things they normally don’t do. Not only adults
get hooked on reality shows, teenagers spend a lot of time watching these types
of shows. Most teenagers get influenced by reality shows on MTV such as “Teen
Mom”, “16 and Pregnant”, “Rock of Love”, “Sister Wives”, and the most popular “Jersey
Shore”. Even though most of these shows seem to be very interesting, they can
also have a negative effect some people. These types of reality shows show the cast members drinking, smoking,
and having sexual relationships leading teens to believe that they should also
be doing all those types of things in order to be cool. Although I know that
most teens will see this behavior and probably won’t get influenced in that
behavior, I do believe that these teens see the members and allow them to
change the way they see themselves. Leading some teenagers to believe that by
acting inappropriately they will be much cooler and gain popularity at their
schools. I do find some reality shows to be entertaining but I try very hard to
avoid watching reality Television. In my opinion, reality television is
influencing people in many ways. It seems that the cast members on all these
shows are the role models for the next generation. I believe that if teenage
girls see other teens getting money and fame for getting pregnant as a teen,
those girls will also be influenced to get pregnant at a young age. All of the
networks that show these types of shows on television should be more cautious
about what they teach tomorrow’s generation. The networks that show reality
shows on television are showing tomorrow’s generation negative values and
morals that will eventually lead to greater problems. If you constantly watch
these types of reality shows, or allow your kids to watch reality television do
not get surprised when your young teenage daughter gets home with a big
surprise, or when you find out that your teenage son has been caught smoking or
drinking alcohol.
Based on what I have read so far from others, there seems to be an extensive list of reality shows I was not aware of. I agree that reality shows have been influencing the current behavior of others. There seems to be an increase in reality shows, and are purely made for 'the shock value.' Some reality shows do depict unsuitable actions and bad self-image if it's viewed by the wrong audience.
ReplyDeleteI see that when i am flipping channels, where people will be acting like fools.It makes you think do i act like that.
ReplyDeleteJersey Shore invaded my school when I was still in High School. Every week I would here the excitement from other students and I could only sit there and have my ears filled with "reality talk."
ReplyDeleteI just think if you really want to see a reality show go walk outside thats reality.
ReplyDeleteYeah a part of our society did take on the roles of the characters. By dressing, acting and talking like them.
ReplyDelete