My First Trip to the Emergency Room
It was a typical sunny afternoon. I
was only eight years old at the time. I was on the bus heading home from a long
day of school. Next to me was Jose, a boy my mother used to care of, and
sitting across from us was my older sister Alexes. Finally, after an entire
hour ride on the bus we arrive at our destination. Since I wanted to be the
first one off the bus, I slightly pushed Jose out of my way.
Even though Jose was our neighbor’s son, he
was always like a brother to me. Jose was seven years old, but as far as I
could remember my mother would take care of him since he was a baby. Although
Jose was not my parent’s son, my parents loved him as if he was part of the
family. I was always jealous of Jose since I wanted to be my parent’s center of
attention. Every day after school my mother always had our dinner ready. I can
still remember walking inside my mother’s house and the smell of homemade
chicken stew came rushing to my nose, for dessert my mother had a small
Zip-lock bag full of grapes for each one of us.
I can still remember my sister not wanting her
grapes so I ate her portion plus mine, on the other hand Jose was very happy to
eat his grapes. He sat down on the couch and began to eat his grapes, he only
had three grapes and shortly after he fell asleep. Without thinking twice, I
ran to the couch and ate his portion of grapes.
As soon as I woke up the following
morning, I had a tremendous stomach ache. It was so painful I could hardly even
walk. I remember my parents did not believe me and they send me off to school.
That evening when I got home from school I did not eat anything. My stomach
pain had just become much worse and walking had become much more difficult for
me. In order for me to be able to walk I had to hold on very tightly to my
stomach and I walked with a hunch. Luckily for me it was Friday and I knew I
did not have to attend school the following day. The next morning I was not
able to walk at all, not even a few steps. I remember climbing off my bed
crying and crawling to my parent’s room for help. I had never felt something so
painful and horrible in my entire life. My parents finally realized that I was
lying. My father picked me up off the floor and carried me out to the truck. He
had a serious look on his face and I knew he was extremely worried for me. My
mother got pink rose cheeks, the ones she usually gets when she’s afraid, she
immediately ran to the truck holding on to my sister’s hand and they rushed me
out to the emergency room.
My ride to the Hospital was the
longest one ever. I was crying and my pain would just worsen by the minute. Not
only was I afraid I knew that we were all afraid of what was going on. My
heartbeat was so fast that I felt as if I had just run a couple miles. I can
hear my parent’s ague back and forth about what was going on with me, and my
sister was hugging me very tightly in the backseat.
Finally we arrive at the Emergency room we
waiting about thirty minutes until they finally called us in. As soon as they
took me inside a room I felt a little safer knowing that there were many
Doctors there to help. Even though we had not seen a doctor yet, I knew my
parents felt relief of being at the hospital as well. It was my first time
being at a hospital, I can still remember the smell of medicine and the noises
in the background of loud machines. Since the hospital was so cold inside, I
had chills all over my body. After a couple minutes of waiting a man in a white
coat comes in and introduces himself as Dr. Lanter. My mother didn’t even let
him speak when she started telling him in Spanish what was going on with me. He
then examined me and then left the room. He had left all of us in suspense we
didn’t know why he left the room. He came back in a couple minutes with a nurse
named Amanda she then translated for Dr. Lanter and my parent’s. She told us
that Dr. Lantern had diagnosed me with an appendix rupture and I had to go into
emergency surgery.
Once they were preparing everything
for surgery I was very afraid. I had no clue what an appendix was or why it had
ruptured. I knew my parents were worried just by the look on their face.
Amanda came back about an hour later
telling us that my room was ready for surgery. I then told her if she could help
into the restroom since I could not walk. She assisted me into the restroom and
I sat there patiently with an even worse horrible stomach ache. My stomach then
started to growl very loudly and it followed with explosive diarrhea. I thought
that it was normal since I was nervous about undergoing emergency surgery. The
nurse got very worried and rushed to call Dr. Lanter into the room. Dr. Lanter
examined me after going to the rest room. I then noticed that my pain was
slowly going away and I felt much better. After he examined my stool he
realized that my appendix had not ruptured, in reality it was just grape skin
that had caused a blockage in my stomach from consuming too many grapes.
Shortly after my surgery got called off and I was able to go home.
I then realized that I should not be
eating other people’s food without their permission and I also learned to share
my food. When I got home that night I immediately called Jose and apologized
for eating his grapes.
First time to the ER isn't fun at all! Personally I'm not a stranger when it comes to the ER.I been there multiple times. Good story though! Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteglad you didn't have to get your appendix taken out yeay! for no surgery
ReplyDeleteit takes awhile to even get into see a doctor in the ER. its bad
ReplyDeleteI hate going to the ER, especially because I have to go the Naval bases. And let me tell you, it's not fun at all. Brand new sailor fresh out of schooling trying to draw blood from your sticking 5 to 6 times missing every time.
ReplyDeleteGoing to the ER isn’t fun at all but is good that you didn’t need surgery after all.
ReplyDeleteGreat story. Hospitals are a little intimidating I even hate going there. Glad everything turned out ok for you.
ReplyDeleteThats awesome that you didnt have to get surgery because believe me that sucks..i been at the ER 3 times and those 3 times were not so fun...i had surgery those 3 times. One of those 3 times was because of my appendix too.
ReplyDeleteGood thing you had to use the restroom before your surgery.
ReplyDelete