Monday, January 28, 2013

Fast Food

             Since my mother would always cook, it was rare if my parents would ever take my sister and me to any fast food restaurants. I can still remember my first time at Jack in the Box; I was about twelve years old and I ordered a Jumbo Jack. After my first bite of that big delicious hamburger, I knew it was love at first sight. From that day on my parents would take us to Jack in the Box every other Sunday or for special occasions only. When I was about 16 years old I got my first job as a cashier at a grocery store. I had more freedom and money to go out and eat with friends. That’s when I first got introduced to McDonalds. Their food was delicious and convenient in time, price, and quality. A whole year straight I ate McDonalds almost every day. I knew almost every McDonalds worker in town. I can remember ordering two double cheeseburgers, a side order of chicken selects with fries, and a drink. Can you imagine a 16 year old eating all that food? I’m 22 years old today and can’t even finish two cheeseburgers. That was the reason why I had gained about 20 pounds in less than two years. At that time I didn’t realize how fat I had become, yet no one bothered to let me know. When I was about 19 years old I realized how fat I was and stopped eating fast food every day and just had it occasionally. I also began to work out and lost about 15 pounds.

           Even though I know fast food is very unhealthy, I still continue to consume fast food at least three times per week. During my lunch break at work I try to make homemade food the night before to avoid eating out, yet I find it very difficult at times. Since I don’t always have time to pack a lunch, sometimes I’m forced to stop at the nearest drive thru. Another problem that I have is that I live far from my job and school, which makes it very difficult to eat healthy in between work and school. Eating out has become a habit. There are times that I will not eat fast food for weeks straight because it just does not look appealing anymore. Sometimes I will not eat until after school so I can get home to leftover of my mother’s cooking. Eating homemade food has become much more delicious than the nasty taste of greasy fast food. Being a full time employee and student has increased my eating out habits. I’m hardly ever home which causes me to eat out more often. Even though I’m tired of fast food, I still consume fast food on the weekends because it’s just so addicting. Fast food has strongly become part of life. I sometimes wish that I was born in the era where fast food didn’t exist, since fast food is the leading cause of obesity and many other health problems. I wish I could just stop eating fast food, yet I don’t stop because it’s everywhere. 

5 comments:

  1. Stephanie,
    I too wish we lived in a time where fast food did not exist.That would prevent many health issues for American's (we'd probably all look great too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes i agree with you! homemade food is way better

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph homemade food is always the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Work and school have made it hard for me to avoid fast food also. I wish I could do a little preemptive cooking and prepare a meal for lunch but I am way too lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you... I think it would be better if fast food didn’t exist, but in the other hand I think is a necessity for many who don’t have the time to cook and is the only option they have.

    ReplyDelete